sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.6.3 internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.6.3 internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:09:39 -0600

Mages,

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 11:42:48AM -0500, Sukneet Basuta wrote:

> I'd try setting the arch to native (-march=native) first. That should
> automatically detect the correct flags for your CPU. If that doesn't work,
> I'd try a newer version of GCC.

Setting the arch to native seemed to help some. But as someone else
suggested I think the root of the problem is probablya hardware issue.
After switching the arch to native I was still getting some random build
failures, though not internal compiler errors. Before trying SMGL I did
also get an internal compiler error building some stuff from SlackBuilds.org
on Slackware. That was with GCC 4.8.2. After trying SMGL I tried
installing FreeBSD. I had it installed previously on the box. Building
stuff from ports under FreeBSD I also kept getting random build errors. I
tried reseating memory and drive cables. That didn't help. This old single
core Athlon probably isn't worth trying much else. I think it's time for it
to be retired. I'll try to find something more stable to tinker with SMGL
on.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.