sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Future plans on the progress
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:54:32 -0300

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 13:23:09 +0300
Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru> wrote:
> I agree.
>
> Because "popularity" could put the distro in wrong hands, like what
> has happened to Debian tech committee.
>
> Ismael, I suggest you to read all Hall of Fame[0] pages. Those will
> try to reveal the true cause of SMGL existence and its niche. It is
> also good to inspect them to understand why people liked SMGL as-is
> and the way it was designed with.
>
> Personally, those pages have made my vision to SMGL's ideas much
> stronger.
>
> SMGL is like OpenBSD -- it is a filter. And yes, nowadays being
> popular means nothing but money; and that applies to almost any
> sphere. It has nothing to do with quality or morality as well.
>
> [0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Developers/Hall%20of%20Fame

I understand the concerns, but let me remember you guys that, first, I
came to SMGL for the same reasons, and second, popularity right now has
a lot to do with survival in the long term, and I don't pretend to
appeal the same public that say Linux Mint.

We're definitely not like OpenBSD, they have something much better,
it's a system in it's own right, they are their own upstream for a lot
of things; we on the other hand just put a bunch of pieces together,
and we should be doing a much better job at it.

And yes, it is in some sense about money, though not directly. As a
distribution, we very very slowly approach a cold death. We can avoid
it by making the decision to use SMGL easier for others, who besides
some tiny and purely technical complaints, agree with our views.

What are we going to do... just hope things improve magically, because
if we intervene there _might_ be undesirable side effects?