sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] multilib

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] multilib
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 16:03:01 -0600

> Yes, multilib is not supported.
>
> I do the same way to run 32-bit binaries. And some boxes have extracted
> 32-bit libs in /lib32 and /usr/lib32 as well as /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> symlink (all not tracked by sorcery) -- they're enough and taken from
> old Debian afaik.
>
> --
> Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>

That makes me wonder if a multilib-binary grimoire makes sense. So
that binary compiled libs are taken/extracted from other distros
packages. Bad thing with that though, is most distros are now moving
towards crazy systemd. One only wants the libs for the most part, but
systemd is so intrusive, in the future there might be dependencies
and/or assumptions hidden in some libs as well...

But just some thought. That way although they are binary libs, they
could be pseudo-tracked by SM, like the current binary and
z-rejected... Such approach would require lots of manual work, to
keep track of the other distros packages, their dependencies, and
porting those to the grimoire.

Well, need to think of it 1st to see if it makes sense such effort,
and see how to limit the scope. So far in a production system with
lib32 packages I have 105 packages easily identified as "lib32" for
dependencies. That looks big to maintain without automation, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier