sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Baseline: Enabling rebuild of stable-0.60 chroot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Baseline: Enabling rebuild of stable-0.60 chroot
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:32:24 -0500

Mages,

It's nice to see so much SMGL activity. It's been several years since I ran
Source Mage. I've considered giving it another try many times but with the
lack of stable grimoire releases kept waiting to see if things were going to
improve or get worse. Currently I'm running ArchLinux on an old x86 box.
I've recently acquired a newer x86_64 box and have been trying to decide
what to run on it. I was originally planning to run FreeBSD, but couldn't
get an old video capture card I wanted to use to work with FreeBSD, so I
went back to Linux. I'm running Gentoo on the box at the moment.

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 04:02:39PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> I thought it might be a good baseline to try and keep the "current"
> basesystem chroot rebuildable:
>
> http://dbg.download.sourcemage.org/image/official/smgl-stable-0.60-basesystem-x86_64.tar.xz

I couldn't resolve the above host name. I was able to download the above
tarball by removing the dbg. from the host name. I've switched on as-needed
and am giving a basesystem rebuild a try in a chroot on the above mentioned
Gentoo box.

> I had to hunt down linux-3.0.tar.bz2.sign on some $random_server as
> kernel.org only carries the tar.sign files. Not sure if this relates to
> the security breach they had some time ago or ist intentional breakage
> of folks like us.

So far the only failure I've seen summoning linux 3.0.0

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.