sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:07:01 -0300

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:09:17 -0300
Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems Xlocale support is broken. On my systems, XOpenIM fails when
> using UTF-8 locales.
>
> Never paid much attention to it, but it is happening since long ago,
> and it's really annoying, and IMHO, there's no point to have non-UTF-8
> locales nowadays...
>
> This causes some programs to crash, others to fail to start, and the
> rest to have issues with dead keys.
>
> I guess stuff based on XCB alone should work fine. GTK2-based software
> always worked well. Qt-based stuff has problems with dead keys too, so
> might be related.
>
> I'm still not sure what's the right way to fix it. Should we remove
> the option and make --disable-xlocale the default? (it requires
> rebuilding a lot of stuff). When using --disable-xlocale, libX11 gets
> a undefined symbol: _Xi18n_lock, so either way it needs to be patched.

Had to rebuild several packages, so I'm not sure what exactly fixed
the issue, but probably it was building libx11 with
--disable-loadable-i18n.

Qt4 applications work fine now!

If someone else can confirm --enable-loadable-i18n is responsible for
the issue (btw, one program that refuses to start is "st", and xterm
prints a warning), we should remove the option.