sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:09:17 -0300

Seems Xlocale support is broken. On my systems, XOpenIM fails when
using UTF-8 locales.

Never paid much attention to it, but it is happening since long ago,
and it's really annoying, and IMHO, there's no point to have non-UTF-8
locales nowadays...

This causes some programs to crash, others to fail to start, and the
rest to have issues with dead keys.

I guess stuff based on XCB alone should work fine. GTK2-based software
always worked well. Qt-based stuff has problems with dead keys too, so
might be related.

I'm still not sure what's the right way to fix it. Should we remove the
option and make --disable-xlocale the default? (it requires rebuilding
a lot of stuff). When using --disable-xlocale, libX11 gets a undefined
symbol: _Xi18n_lock, so either way it needs to be patched.