sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:19:04 -0400

On 16/03/13 04:54 PM, Javier Vasquez wrote:
So if one is to install java-gcj-compat, which requires jcj any ways,
whould one install gcj with JDK emulation tree?

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but it should still work with it.

Would gcj + java-gcj-compat be enough to compile icedtea (no bootstrap)?

I'm not sure. AFAIK, it's supposed to be, but I'm not sure how well tested that is or how easy it is to do.

2.- Is gcc with java on version 4.7.2 cleaner than old 4.6.3 in test?
It happens that on 4.6.3 there's missing stuff that breaks cleanse.

Not sure, but I doubt it. gcj is only being maintained, so there shouldn't
be any major changes to it. I'm not sure what the issue is with cleanse.

There are some things not installed when casting gcc with java and
with JDK tree emulation.

Please take a look at:

http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/492

Not sure if those are gone with 4.7.2... As it takes time, I wanted
to know if anyone has tried gcc 4.7.2 with java without problems,
prior to compiling gcc with java again...

This is a bit discouraging... Having to buil/install ecj (probably
eclipse btw)...

The gcc spell (4.6.3, this was removed from 4.7.2 for some reason) actually downloads ecj.jar and uses that. The version in the gcc spell is pretty old and there is a newer version. FYI Gentoo still uses ecj.jar for gcc 4.8, so there is a good chance it shouldn't have been removed.

Once you get gcj, you should be able to compile ecj.