sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:47:09 -0600

Hi,

I moved the pentium-m (centrino) laptop from generic i686 to pentium-m arch.

Everything compiled/installed OK except for antlr, ant, rhino and icedtea7.

The alternative I had with jdk7-bin no longer works, it seems it's not
compatible with the resulting glibc dynamic library (so). Just doing
"java -version" with the i586 version from oracle fails, and it does
it with a similar failure compiling rhino with icedtea7 does...

Any ways, compiling the spells depending upon a jdk such as antlr, ant
and rhino, with icedtea7 fails. For example antlr:

>> /usr/bin/make -C ./antlr all

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/antlr-2.7.7/antlr'
*** compiling 216 Java file(s)
#
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb7589e70, pid=14517, tid=3063679808
#
# JRE version: 7.0_09-b30
# Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (23.2-b09 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C [libc.so.6+0x87e70] two_way_long_needle+0x50
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable
core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again

As I said I get a pretty similar failure with "java -version" on the
oracle binary...

But with icedtea7 I can run "java -version" without that error:

% java -version
java version "1.7.0_09"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.3) (Source Mage build 1.7.0_09-b30)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

% which java
/usr/lib/j2sdk/bin/java

However this icedtea7 is broken, one because I recompiled everything,
so the dynamic libraries it was compiled against changed, and second,
cause cleanse says it so, :-)

Any ways, when trying to recompile icedtea7, so I can then recompile
its dependent spells, to then try recompiling icedtea7 again, the
"configure" process just hangs forever when trying to discard ecj, and
there's no ecj whatsoever for sure:

What alternatives are there (seems like compiling doesn't work, and
the binary oracle version doesn't work. So once more I'm in the dark,
and browsing the web doesn't seem to help, :-(

Perhaps someone has a pentium-m binary version of icedtea7 I can
attempt resurrect on this laptop?

Weird thing I did something similar on a core-i7 (sandy bridge), which
I configured by suggestion as native x86-64 with 64 bits, and I didn't
have any problems recompiling icedtea7 there. So it might be an arch
issue...

Any ways, here it's where the configure just hangs forever:

checking if /usr/bin/ecj is a valid executable file... checking for ecj... no
checking for ecj-3.1... no
checking for ecj-3.2... no
checking for ecj-3.3... no
checking for ecj-3.4... no
checking if we are using ecj as javac...

I'm really clueless. Any hint is helpful. BTW, I didn't find any
native x86-32 arch, only x86-64 with whether 64 or 32 bits, but that's
not x86-32. So pentium-m is the closer arch to what the CPU is:

% cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 9
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
stepping : 5
microcode : 0x7
cpu MHz : 1400.000
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips : 2791.03
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64

Again, any hint? This laptop for now is javaless, and it requires
java for some accounts (even though it has been said dangerous), well
for that at least the web plugin... BTW, I'm not like going and
recompile everything again, this thing has only 512 MB, and it lasts a
lot on "sorcery -r", and prior to that the safe recompile of
gcc/gettext/glibc and company... Also, it seems the rest of spells
are OK, well, at least according to cleanse...

Thanks,

--
Javier.