sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Steps to change architecture (optimize options).

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Steps to change architecture (optimize options).
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:53:07 -0600

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to change architecture from x86_64 to corei7_avx (core i7
>> with sandy bridge), so that new casted spells became further
>> optimized.
>>
>> However doing that without any further actions proved wrong.
>>
>> When getting binutils re-casted (new version showing up on test), it
>> actually re-compiled and installed OK, but then gcc got broken unable
>> to generate executables at the "configure"stage of compilation...
>> Specially gettext no longer was able to compile...
>
> Does setting your architecture to native result in the same problem? I
> suggest you just stick to native either way. It will choose the best
> optimizations for your architecture. Be aware, however, that
> native-x86_64-64 does not force -fpic and -dpic flags (while every
> other x64 arch in Source Mage does), so you may run into a few
> programs complaining about it. I've fixed it in every spell I've
> found, but I didn't test every spell. It's mainly only old programs
> that have issues though. If you don't mind using pic, just specify
> those additional flags when you select your architecture.
>
>> I remember before doing "sorcery -r" after recent installation, and
>> after changing optimization flags, it's recommended to:
>>
>> 1.- re-cast linux.
>> 2.- re-cast gcc, g++, perl, gettext, glibc.
>> 3.- run sorcery -r
>>
>> I'm wondering if the order is OK... Also if binutils shouldn't be
>> re-casted, in some particular order as well.
>
> I always follow the order listed at
> http://www.sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/wiki/InstallGuide#Post-Install
>
>> Any ways. I wanted to do the same for a pentium-m machine, which was
>> originally set as i686, and I moved it recently to pentium-m, but I'll
>> move it back to i686 so I can update it...
>>
>> Let me know id those steps are adequate, or if they require changes.
>> Is "sorcery -r" totally required? Or are there a smaller list of
>> spells required to be re-casted and that would be it?
>
> It shouldn't be. AFAIK you can compile pretty much any program with
> different optimizations and they should work. binutils is a pretty
> crucial package though and everything relies on it, so maybe its the
> exception. That said, the wiki recommends casting binutils and gcc
> first after selecting your architecture. I have done that quite a few
> times and I've never broke gcc. I suspect the culprit is incorrect
> optimization flags.

K,

I was missing just binutils in the front, :-) I got that list from a
pretty old wiki about installing sourcemage, :-)

BTW, I haven't changed architecture yet, and I've recompiled "binutils
gcc g++ perl gettext glibc" many times now (well binutils just a few
times), and I don't get to fix the error on python, which always faisl
to compile with:

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined reference to `libintl_bindtextdomain'

And some other libstdc++.so.6 libintl_* errors. As all these spells
were never compiled with the new architecture, the change (which only
had around one week), and reverting it, doesn't seem like what's
causing the issue. From:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/Usage

It's suggested to recompile glibc, which I did, but didn't work. I
then repeated several times the sequence, and python never gets fixed,
:-(

Not sure if I should think about reverting binutils and recompile the
sequence and see if then python gets to compile... Strangely enough,
python3 doesn't find problems, but it might it sure doesn't depend
upon the same stuff...

Any ideas for this one?

Thanks,

--