sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Steps to change architecture (optimize options).

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Steps to change architecture (optimize options).
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:55:40 -0600

Hi,

I wanted to change architecture from x86_64 to corei7_avx (core i7
with sandy bridge), so that new casted spells became further
optimized.

However doing that without any further actions proved wrong.

When getting binutils re-casted (new version showing up on test), it
actually re-compiled and installed OK, but then gcc got broken unable
to generate executables at the "configure"stage of compilation...
Specially gettext no longer was able to compile...

I remember before doing "sorcery -r" after recent installation, and
after changing optimization flags, it's recommended to:

1.- re-cast linux.
2.- re-cast gcc, g++, perl, gettext, glibc.
3.- run sorcery -r

I'm wondering if the order is OK... Also if binutils shouldn't be
re-casted, in some particular order as well.

Any ways. I wanted to do the same for a pentium-m machine, which was
originally set as i686, and I moved it recently to pentium-m, but I'll
move it back to i686 so I can update it...

Let me know id those steps are adequate, or if they require changes.
Is "sorcery -r" totally required? Or are there a smaller list of
spells required to be re-casted and that would be it?

Thanks,

--
Javier.