sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's the state of xorg branch?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's the state of xorg branch?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:32:00 -0500

On 08/03/2012 03:49 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the intel driver just crashed on me thus gave a reminder about the
> current version being 2.20.0, not 2.14.0 . As always, there is the
> hope that the newer version is less crash-happy than the old one (hey
> --- I'm now down to crashes of Xorg instead of GPU freezes, yay!).
>
> Now, the new version wants a slightly fresher graphics stack, most
> importantly xorg-server 1.10 . How is the state of our xorg devel
> branch? Wouldn't it be time to get off xorg-server 1.8?
>
> I guess should just switch to that branch ... but perhaps merging is
> near?

What is the necessary criteria for merging?

Works on 10 peoples graphics cards?

A successful upgrade path?

It's probably not feasible to get all the graphics drivers tested.

I'd like for someone with experience in the X branch to come up with a
list of criteria, maybe search the list history for issues people have
had upgrading, and then build a test plan, or a checklist to verify that
we won't have these issues on this upgrade.

Then once that passes, we'll merge it. Sound good?

David