sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Sven Lemke <catnip AT web.de>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:41:52 +0100

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:09:49 +0100
Sven Lemke <catnip AT web.de> wrote:

> True words - full ACK. I am also very concerned about
> the future of SMGL.
>
> Look, I have been a fellow >user< of SMGL almost since
> day 1. Of course there has been a lot of development
> going on and effort put into making spell management
> easier but the general problems of back then are still
> the problems we are facing now.
>
> SMGL is still NOT user friendly at all.

User friendly usually means "guided" or "less complex".ut let's be honest,
SMGL
users know how to configure a box and want freedom instead of a wizard guiding
them.
AFAIK we've never aimed for easy and user friendly like Linux Mint.

> The ISO/installer is a mess and new users are left
> alone after a successful installation. ISOs have to
> be updated at least every 3 months or so.

The ISO has basically been a one man team for a while (thanks flux!) and will
probably remain that way until I finish working on upstart and imp.

> As Ladislav already mentioned, too much time is wasted
> on keeping spells up-to-date -> this MUST be automated
> in some way or at least a lot more than it is now
> using quill.

That will be *very* hard to do unless we've got automated QA as well.
Otherwise we would just end up with an unstable mess. (even though it would be
a fully up-to-date mess)

> Make more documentation describing exactly how the spell
> management system works / how the init system works /
> how new spells are created / how init.d works / which
> configuration file in etc is used for what / examples.

Agreed, we could use better documentation for SMGL specific stuff, but so far
the volunteers got frustrated by the lack of help quite fast iirc.
However, I don't think we need to write docs on, say, how to configure
networking.
There is plenty to find with a simple search on google and we can use the
manpower somewhere else more effectively.

> It just doesn't make sense to translate everything.
> Do NOT make any more translated documentation as it will
> be outdated very fast and sometimes only the translator
> will look for errors. Concentrate on the English version
> and make it as complete as possible. If you can't read
> English you will be lost in Unix/web/world anyhow.

Agreed

> Spread the word about SMGL - we need more developers!
>
> Ask people to put a link to SMGL on their websites if
> their project / software is included in the grimoire.
> Often you just see the usual candidates like Ubuntu,
> Fedora or Gentoo.

Agreed, write an email to their mailing list or the project's lead dev. From
experience I can tell that quite a few are happy to add a link for us.

> I do not want this project to die!

It won't die, and quite frankly I'm getting tired of reading SMGL is dead
(or about to be) every couple of weeks. On it's own mailing list no less...

I'll keep it alive by myself if I need to, so don't panic.

PS: Sven, don't take my comments personal, it's just how I feel about the
subjects you've mentioned.

Arjan Bouter

Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org