sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sven Lemke <catnip AT web.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:09:49 +0100

True words - full ACK. I am also very concerned about
the future of SMGL.

Look, I have been a fellow >user< of SMGL almost since
day 1. Of course there has been a lot of development
going on and effort put into making spell management
easier but the general problems of back then are still
the problems we are facing now.

SMGL is still NOT user friendly at all.

The ISO/installer is a mess and new users are left
alone after a successful installation. ISOs have to
be updated at least every 3 months or so.

As Ladislav already mentioned, too much time is wasted
on keeping spells up-to-date -> this MUST be automated
in some way or at least a lot more than it is now
using quill.

Make more documentation describing exactly how the spell
management system works / how the init system works /
how new spells are created / how init.d works / which
configuration file in etc is used for what / examples.

It just doesn't make sense to translate everything.
Do NOT make any more translated documentation as it will
be outdated very fast and sometimes only the translator
will look for errors. Concentrate on the English version
and make it as complete as possible. If you can't read
English you will be lost in Unix/web/world anyhow.

Spread the word about SMGL - we need more developers!

Ask people to put a link to SMGL on their websites if
their project / software is included in the grimoire.
Often you just see the usual candidates like Ubuntu,
Fedora or Gentoo.

I do not want this project to die!

Regards,
Sven / |_emming