sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-server 1.8.1 missing dep.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg-server 1.8.1 missing dep.
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:28:33 -0600

On 01/12/2012 06:21 AM, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
>> BTW, is there any problem with xorg-server 1.9.x? I had been using it
>> on my laptop without troubles for several months...
>

> None problems also with 1.10.x and 1.11.x.
>
> We just have to pull changes from devel-xorg-modular branch into master.
> It is sad we use devel-xorg-modular and devel-libng instead of pull
> changes into master. I know even our devel-libpng is stale. Seems still
> nobody cares. I wanted to pull several times, some gurus were against
> it. It is question for PL and GL.

What were the reasons against it? If it broke significant amounts of
things, then that'd be a good reason. If it only broke one or two
things, but they're extremely popular, that'd also be a good reason,
otherwise, I'm not sure it's a good enough reason.

> I know we have problem with libpthread-stubs, UP_TRIGGERS doesn't fix
> all spells, some spells have to be re-cast manually or some of us has to
> update UP_TRIGGERS. We also discussed to run manually some script to
> remove *.la files from /usr/lib. Problem is, who fix his xorg-problem
> doesn't care updating UP_TRIGGERS.
>
> When I install new box I always scribe add devel-xorg-modular and
> install really stable xorg.
>
> We stared to discuss in Dec 2010
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2010-December/020364.html

I'd say, if you've automated those fixes that you did by hand in the
thread you linked so that they're applied whenever someone else updates
the spell, pull it into the test grimoire.

David