sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] XCB breakage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] XCB breakage
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:53:04 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [12.01.12 03:33]:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Several packages on my system are broken due to XCB having changed
> > its libraries (ABI and API incompatibility).
> >
> > For example: xfce4-session and claws-mail depend on libxcb-aux.so.0.
> >
> > Building some packages, like libxfce4ui, fails now due to the missing
> > libxcb-aux.la.
> >
> > I had to manually provide following libraries to put my system on a
> > sane state again:
> > * libxcb-aux.so.0
> > * libxcb-event.so.1
> > * libxcb-atom.so.1
> >
> > All required symbols were provided now by libxcb-util.so.0, so I just
> > symlinked them, I'm not sure if it's a 1:1 equivalence, but it works.
>
> I do not have those 3 libs on my system and was able to successfully
> cast libxfce4ui and xfce4-session.
>
> I'm guessing one of the dependencies of those spells is still linked
> to those libs on your system.
>
> I'd remove the links you manually made and run "cleanse --fix". That
> should find the spell(s) that needs to be recast.

This sounds suspiciously like the .la file(s) is responsible for the
problem. If the .la file mentions libraries that aren't actually
required, and are missing, then builds will fail if they use such .la
files even if they don't actually depend on the missing libraries. You
can grep your other .la files to see if they point to said
libxcb-aux.la, and probably you'll get several hits.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage