sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SM-Discuss Digest, Vol 106, Issue 2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Lowe <da_legit_dubya AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SM-Discuss Digest, Vol 106, Issue 2
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:28:28 -0500

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM, David Lowe <da_legit_dubya AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> SM Installation Problems
>
> I've had nothing but bad luck trying to get SM going.  The MD5sum never
> matches, every key I've downloaded is either corrupt or expired (why can't
> I use SHA1)?, and not only will the installer _not_ let me use my existing
> partitions (besides, I'm happy with my setup the way it is) it refuses to
> use anything other than ext2.
> I had the same problem with Lunar Linux (as far as the sum/keys), I didn't
> bother trying to install it. So I didn't bother trying Sorcerer.
> So I guess this is on the back burner for awhile.

May I ask what iso you are using to install? Granted they are all
pretty old now, but I believe Tommy Boatman is working on making a new
one.

Did you try following http://wiki.sourcemage.org/NewInstall ? You
should be able to use existing partitions of any file system the
kernel permits. The kernel on the install cd should support every fs,
other than ext4 and btrfs, but you can use ext4dev and then convert
that to ext4. If you need btrfs, what I've done is boot into a bootcd
with a newer kernel, mounted the iso, chrooted into it, and installed
Source Mage that way.

I'm not sure why you having issues with MD5 sums and gpg keys. I've
never experienced problems with either. That sounds like a bigger
problem if you have the same problem with lunar linux. My guess is you
either have a hardware problem or something is wrong with your
internet connection.