sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Resignation
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:18:59 +0900

I am officially resigning as Cauldron Lead (I'm still a SMGL developer
though, unless of course everyone wants to kick me out). I've thought
about this for some time, and there are various reasons for and against
that I have weighed, but essentially it boils down to the following two
points.

1) Lack of sufficient time

I've been too busy with work and trying to complete my dissertation
(both of which take much higher precedence) to dedicate as much time to
Cauldron as I'd like. I'll still contribute random bits here and there,
but I'm not able to do regular work on it, and I don't foresee being
able to return to regularly scheduled work on it any time soon.

2) Community apathy

I don't think there really needs to be a Cauldron Lead, because, quite
simply, the community simply doesn't care. With the exception of Eric
Sandall (who also hasn't had time to work on anything for Cauldron),
I've been the only contributor to Cauldron for the past several years.
The only time anyone else even mentions Cauldron is when they want a new
ISO. Yet, with the exception of Eric, no one has done any actual work
(that I know of; if you're working on something why not tell me about
it?) towards actually producing one. I don't have my own build machine
right now, which I've noted to people several times, and I have directed
many people to the fact that ISO production is scripted and there are
clear instructions for how to do it. The annual vote for it (in May) was
completely forgotten this year in silence.

If you don't want Cauldron to die, put your money where your mouth is.
Step up and do it. If no one does, then Cauldron dies. I'd rather see it
die with dignity than slowly wither into forgotten oblivion.

* NOTE: The points regarding apathy apply equally to Sorcery (including
the voting). I see plenty of commit activity against the Grimoire. If
you have time to commit, you have a few minutes to do something (like
even just sending an email asking for a vote to be called) for another
component. Does the community really not care at all about anything
other than the Grimoire?

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage