sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] coreutils vs glibc

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robert Figura <rfigura AT aubergine.zwischengesicht.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] coreutils vs glibc
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 05:38:37 +0100

George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 06:36:22 +0100
> Robert Figura <rfigura AT aubergine.zwischengesicht.de> wrote:
> > i recently tried a clean rebuild off the current 0.10.0 iso using test
> > grimoire. I encountered something wich seems to be explained by this:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/coreutils/+bug/552816
> >
> > In short: A recent in glibc update reveals a bug in coreutils which
> > makes cp -p fail. As some spells (upstream installers) use cp -p and
> > friends to install, this will at least cause install failures for
> > db and python...
> >
> > Is there a reason why coreutils is still version 7.xx whilst the first
> > of the 8.xx's is more than a year old?
> >
> Bug #13873 was found during a coreutils update long ago. I have been
> running coreutils 8.6 and 8.7 for a month and a half now and I haven't
> run into the issue yet. With the bug that you found, it sounds like it
> is time to update coreutils. I will try to do it when I get back in
> town this week if some one doesn't beat me to it.

I finally got around to just try updating the version in
coreutils/DETAILS - and it worked fine here. That was with castfs and
current devel sorcery so i'm not sure what the chances are to get
problems under other circumstances.

So i'm happy and feel no need to beat you :-b

Didn't really grok the connection to bug #13873 tho... Nevermind.

Thanks and Kind Regards
- Robert Figura

--
/* mandlsig.c 0.42 (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nt>neo.ckgel-t\