sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] large file support on SMGL, or just generally in libraries

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] large file support on SMGL, or just generally in libraries
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:10:51 +0900

Thomas Orgis (thomas-forum AT orgis.org) wrote [10.03.14 03:29]:
> But well, my energy with this is limited. I am using SMGL almost
> exclusively on 64bit machines anyway. I mainly want that problem to go
> away, and hope that distributions will do theit pick with libmpg123 or
> libmpg123_64 on their systems. It is kindof unnerving that this dual
> off_t stuff has been considered for a "transitional period" back in
> the nineties, but it will stay for as long as there is linux on 32bit
> x86, I presume:-/ I hope nowadays standards commitees realize that
> "nasty stuff for transitional period" equals nastiness forever.

From what I've read, it seems like this is at least in part (if not
entirely) due to the defaults in glibc, and were glibc to wrap off_t
such that it was always 64-bit the problem would magically disappear.
This may be my overly gross misunderstanding of the situation, but if
it's really the case then the point of "attack" should be the glibc
"community" (good luck there, I doubt they would care to listen).
Otherwise, we'd all have to push to drop glibc and pick up some other
libc implementation, and being as people are starting to complain about
glibc as it is, this may become the case. Of course, it would take quite
a while for a libc transition to happen, so you'd still have to "just
deal with it" in the meantime anyway.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage