sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] large file support on SMGL, or just generally in libraries

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] large file support on SMGL, or just generally in libraries
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:04:48 -0800

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:28:11 +0100
Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> wrote:

> Am Sat, 6 Mar 2010 14:31:06 +0100
> schrieb Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:
>
> > There is a chance that one of you lot spent some time thinking
> > about large file support on Linux and comes up with the ultimate
> > solution, right?
>
> OK, thanks for the lively discussion:-/ So I guess Source Mage does't
> care about this. Just for your information: The next mpg123 release
> will most likely switch to a different soname for largefile-enabled
> builds on 32 bit systems. I'll make the spell install both variants
> of the library... and add triggers to recast stuff that depends on it
> (xmms2).

We generally support what upstream supports. If upstream is broken then
we'll be broken, but we'll try to fix it if we have time.

Some of our packages do ask if you want 64-bit file support
(libsndfile, mhwaveedit, dansguardian, sessreg, zsh, nano). If you want
these queries added to all libraries, please do so (or file bugs), but
our policy would be to leave the query to what upstream wants (e.g. if
zlib upstream defaults to 32-bit offsets have the query default to that
as well).

If specific packages need some libraries built with 64-bit offset we
can use SUB_DEPENDS to force that.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285