sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg font path transition... is this an issue that needs integration to stable?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg font path transition... is this an issue that needs integration to stable?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:35:14 -0800

Quoting Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:

Hi folks...

after having several old-ish apps (Motif, xfontsel... stuff that needs X11 core fonts) broken with their fonts after updating my SMGL system, I figured out that it's the (incomplete) transition from /usr/lib/X11/fonts to /usr/share/fonts/X11.
This caused a lot of fonts not being found anymore by my X server and thusly had forced me to think about getting my favourite text editor font back (yes, for programming you cannot beat a good bitmap font).

Long story short: I fixed up xorg-server to look into /usr/share/fonts/X11 by default (important when you got no xorg.conf at all) and also several spells on xorg-fonts that still installed to the old location. Seems like upstream people didn't bother to update all font packages in that respect.

I am talking about the commits leading to c8d80144d164621665fa0a7f183b389d556deaac... Now, I wonder: Does this affect current stable grimoire? And if it does, is this issue demanding an integration or not? Some folks on IRC weren't particulary bothered since minimal font to get Xorg running at all is built-in and modern programs don't need core X fonts.

Opinions?

Thank you for finding, and fixing, the fonts Thomas. :) I hadn't even noticed when I did some of the original updates as I use the default fonts.

Please open a bug to integrate your changes into the new stable-0.39 (just released today) and I'll check the bugs and see about integrating them.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285