sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] consequences of the libxcb mess in stable 0.38

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] consequences of the libxcb mess in stable 0.38
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:31:01 -0800

Quoting Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:

Hi,

I've been thinking about how we can avoid getting bugs like the libxcb
update mess into stable grimoires. Here's what I came up with, which
I'll implement for stable-0.39 to test how it goes.
- there will be 2 chroots for stable-rc testing, the current one, and
one with a basic kde4 and gnome2 desktop installed
- both chroots should update without major issues to the new stable-rc
- major issues is anything that is not fixed automatically either
during the sorcery system-update or an additional cleanse --fix
afterwards

For the next stable release after 0.39, I would like to add additional
tests for updates from two releases back. I.e. an update to stable-rc
0.40 shall work in both chroots both from stable-0.38 and stable-0.39.
At least I have often not updated one of my boxes in one month, and
I think we should support updating from the previous stable and the
stable before that.

I like this idea, though it will take many extra cycles to complete. ;) Not sure a `cleanse --fix` should be counted as fixing major issues (not that this would have fixed the libxcb mess). If a `cleanse --fix` is required to fix an issue it should still be a blocking bug, IMO.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285