sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Grub2 questions.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Grub2 questions.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:27:34 -0600

On 10/29/09, Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> Op donderdag 29-10-2009 om 13:44 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Javier
> Vasquez:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering while the test grimoire is still using 1.96 release,
>> when 1.97 is there. In my own grimoire 1.97 is working nice.
>>
>> The other thing is that gub2 comes with gfxterm:
>>
>> http://grub.enbug.org/gfxterm
>>
>> Other distributions like archlinux and debian install along with grub2
>> the following:
>>
>> /usr/share/grub/ascii.pf2
>> /usr/share/grub/unifont.pf2
>>
>> They are necessary in order for gfxterm to work. I have under
>> /etc/grub.d/05_background a setting to define how to color the menu if
>> not gfxterm when no image is found, but when an image is found, then
>> use gfxterm only if the fonts are available. Problem is that the
>> fonts are not available, :-)
>>
>> Now, I was looking for ascii or unicode fonts package from test,
>> binary, games and z-rejected, and I didn't find any. Do you know what
>> aproach I could take in order to generate this fonts? Perhaps I could
>> modify the spell so that theres a dependency on some packages, and the
>> a install post-process to compile the pf2 ones..
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> That's because the other distro's generate the fonts for you.
> You might want to cast grub2 again and say 'y' to the question
> 'build and install the grub-mkfont utility?'

Yes, but I don't know where to generate them from. I actually
configure grub2 so that it installs grub-mkfont. The question is
where can I get the *.bdf fonts from (which is what grub-mkfont takes
as inputs)? I did a gaze search for "ascii", "unicode" and "unifont",
and nothing seemed to be what I was looking for. If some one can give
me hint about which spells provide them, that'd be great. If there's
no such spell, maybe som one can point to good free sources, so I
could write a new spell.

> With that utility you can generate your own fonts for use with grub.
> Feel free to add a spell for your generated fontpack ;)

I was planning on adding a dependency on the spells providing the
*.bsd (or the *.pf2 if they are provided) , and then adding a post
process to generate the *.pf2, if the *.bsd were found and the *.pf2
weren't. So the same grub2 spell could handle everything.

> --
> Arjan Bouter

Thanks Arjan,

--