sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] emulation / VM / ???

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] emulation / VM / ???
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:10:59 -0500

Treeve Jelbert (treeve AT scarlet.be) wrote [09.03.03 06:13]:
> I have one application which I absolutely need, but I wrote it long ago in
> Delphi for Win98.
>
> I have been running it under wine, but have now switched everything else to
> an
> amd64 linux system.
>
> How can I run my 32 bit delphi application in this new envionment?
> Will I be obliged to boot winxp or my old 32bit linux system?
>
> Or should I finally rewrite the delphi code using fpc/lazarus or qt4?
>
> Any ideas?

You can also run a 32-bit OS inside of a VM (like qemu, virtualbox,
etc.) and do it from inside the VM as a last-ditch effort. If the app is
small, then I'd recommend rewriting it (or at least recompiling it) for
more modern platforms so that you don't run into this problem again.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage