sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master sorcery by Jaka Kranjc (b04e448cba60b964e57245a512770e6d5f0a42bb)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master sorcery by Jaka Kranjc (b04e448cba60b964e57245a512770e6d5f0a42bb)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:24:41 +0100

On Wednesday 25 of February 2009 14:33:14 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> Why revert completely back to the old behaviour? I think it's good that we
> try to be more strict in this kind of handling, we just shouldn't change
> it indiscriminately, because we know stuff will break. How about changing
> it just so that it gives a big fat warning if the return value is non
> zero, leave it like that for a while (i.e. up to and including the next
> test release, or perhaps even stable) so that spells bugs will be
> discovered and can be resolved. Then change it to enforce it with the
> return $? once the warning has been in test sorcery or even stable for a
> while.
I accomplished what I wanted - the install-info mistery has been solved and
awareness is higher. There are more of the spell implementations to fix, but
now we know what needs to be done and why (thanks George).

Warnings wouldn't do any good. In case of install-info we had *errors* and
yet
nobody cared. Nobody reported any issues with other kinds of PRE_REMOVE and
POST_REMOVE files.
These two are just like any other spell file and should exit succesfully if
all went well.

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org