sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] proxy email from flux_control about test6 iso
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:01:57 -0600

On Feb 23, David Kowis [dkowis AT shlrm.org] wrote:
> George Sherwood wrote:
> > Let me just add to this discussion to be complete. I believe we need
> > to provide an example for the interfaces file. It needs to be
> > something that the SA can do during the install and if the SA is not
> > familiar with the format of the file we should leave examples that are
> > commented out. I don't see how this is any different from the example
> > fstab that is provided now during the install.
> >
> > George Sherwood
>
> As I stated in the other email[1]. I got chastised (albeit mildly) for
> putting example configs in the grub file.

Since I did the chastising, I'll note I think there's a difference between
cping something upstream provided in the examples to the production
location vs. us adding our own examples, which as I recall was going on in
grub. The former is not perfect preservation of upstream, but it's hard to
argue it's not reasonable or unexpected, either. The latter is us creating
content and putting it on a user's system without asking and leads to bad
practices.

And for my part I'm mostly trying to remind us of at least informal policy
discussed years ago on sm-commit around adding config files when upstream
doesn't provide them. As I recall the best practice was determined to be
not creating a config file when upstream doesn't provided one at all
(outside of the doc dir, where most anything goes) unless the package
wasn't functional without one. If that was the case, create one, but try
to get upstream to include one next time.

Regardless, copying something upstream provided, that's already all
commented out, from their samples dir to the one production location that
gets checked, isn't the kind of thing I've ever been really concerned
about.