sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] usb install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] usb install
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:08:39 -0500

seth AT swoolley.homeip.net (seth AT swoolley.homeip.net) wrote [08.12.02 15:14]:
> for what it's worth, one of my servers uses a usb compact flash drive for
> its boot partition.
>
> I found I had to use "root=/dev/sdf1 ro rootwait" since the usb drive would
> take some time to detect and if I didn't use rootwait, it would declare VFS
> not found
> before it had a chance to detect that device.
>
> Seth

I think this is a different issue than what Robert was describing.
Robert was describing how to put the test4 ISO onto a usb key instead of
burning it onto a cd, and then booting the ISO from the usb key. It
sounds like you are describing the booting of an installed system. Did I
misunderstand what you were describing? This sounds like very useful
information about possible boot problems, so I think it's important we
are clear about what booting this applies to.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage