sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Binary Grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: spirtbrat AT unpro.no-ip.info
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Binary Grimoire
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:34:29 -0700

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:54:54 -0700 (PDT)
Vasil Yonkov <bustervill AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> "... we now have a binary grimoire ..."
>
> Very nice, very nice, but I couldn't find any info about it. Is it
> discussed somewhere else? I'd like to know what is the purpose of
> such a grimoire. Would it be like Debian's / Fedora's repositories,
> full with software (every spell added), or it will serve some
> specific purpose? Under what rules will be compiled the spells
> (architecture, flags...)? Which dependencies will be enabled - only
> the default ones or what? In brief - what are the intentions for the
> binary grimoire and how will this whole thing be managed?

From what I understand, it will be a place to put packages which
install the upstream binaries (e.g. firefox-3.0.3-i386.tgz), not
binaries compiled by us.

This is to further differentiate non-source packages. Before,
non-source packages were packages along with non-free packages in
z-rejected. Now, free software official binary packages go in binary,
while packages (source or binary) not allowed in test or binary due to
licensing concerns (e.g. not allowed to redistribute, such as
jre6-bin), stay in z-rejected.

As for announcements or documentation, I only know of it by watching
our commit logs at http://scmweb.sourcemage.org/.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285