sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Going back to Gentoo

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Going back to Gentoo
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:01:07 +0100

Am Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:14:14 -0500 (CDT)
schrieb Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>:

> It does sound like cleanse does a more thorough job.

Indeed. It checks every installed file via checksum and runs ldd
on everything to see if the libraries are OK.
Cleanse is actually a good burn-in test for your machine -- at least
I was able to repeatedly show corrupted RAM/controller/whatever with
cleanse on a server box I was installing. The compiles went fine, but
cleanse stressed it enough to give up. I'm glad now that it prevented
me from putting important services onto that broken box;-)
The next server was fine with cleanse and stable in operation (until
the company providing it has been closed down).

> Now if it would just
> stop trying to fix the openoffice-bin package I installed that's wasn't
> broken or trying to fix tetex because I updated a map file to add some
> fonts I installed ...

That's bugs. Manpower is the key here -- one can mark such files as volatile
and cleanse won't complain. But one has to do that with the spells...
Not so sure about openoffice, but I guess that could be helped, too.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.