sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Going back to Gentoo

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Going back to Gentoo
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:25:15 -0700

You can use the "alter" tool to make a change to an installed state and
not have cleanse gripe about it later. I should know, I wrote it
specifically to work with the cleanse logs to not run into this exact
situation while still allowing cleanse to fix problems unrelated to the
altered changes.

Seth

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:14:14PM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, flux wrote:
>
> > First, as a former Gentoo user myself, I would like to see Gentoo
> > improve and I'd be happy to commend them on a vast improvement if things
> > have gotten as good as you say. I'm a little bit skeptical, but it's
> > definitely possible they have come that far. :)
>
> I was little shocked myself at some of the improvements. After the first
> time around with Gentoo I swore I'd never install Gentoo again. But for
> some reason I can't quite figure out I got the feeling recently that I
> should give Gentoo another chance. Of course, things are working well
> right now and that may be partially due to this being a fresh install.
> Down the road I might very well start encountering some of the same
> problems I ran into the first time around with Gentoo.
>
> > Nor was the fact that I couldn't actually configure vim to support XIM
> > and multibyte support via the ebuild, because 1) there were no use flags
> > for those options and 2) the ebuild was being checked against a stored
> > hash for it to prevent corruption/hacking, so I couldn't validly modify
> > the ebuild to suit my needs.
>
> This functionality might not have existed back then, but now there are
> portage overlays which makes tweaking an ebuild relatively easy. In my
> make.conf file I have:
>
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/home/dokpm0/Portage"
>
> On my previous install of Gentoo I used a portage overlay to apply a small
> patch to ffmpeg. Under the above directory I:
>
> # mkdir -p media-video/ffmpeg
> # cd media-video/ffmpeg
> # cp /usr/portage/media-video/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326.ebuild .
> # mkdir files
>
> Copy any patches the above ebuild applies to the files directory along
> with the patch I wanted to apply. Change the revision number so portage
> realizes this is an updated version:
>
> # mv ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326.ebuild ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326-r1.ebuild
>
> Edit the ebuild to add the patch I want to apply, then:
>
> # ebuild ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326-r1.ebuild digest
>
> which creates the Manifest file to make portage happy with the above
> ebuild, then:
>
> # emerge -u ffmpeg
>
> > The issue with vim was easily solved on SMGL for me, since not only did
> > they already have the options supported, but even if they didn't sorcery
> > allowed me to manually set configure options DURING THE BUILD! I had
> > never heard of any other package manager coming even remotely close to
> > that level of configurability before, and that's where I instantly fell
> > in love with SMGL.
>
> Ease of adding custom configure options is definitely a nice feature of
> SMGL.
>
> > About this revdep-rebuild: did it actually have anything to fix?
>
> No, but I was comparing it to a cleanse run that also had nothing to fix.
>
> > I'm betting that you were running this on a "clean" system where there
> > were no broken dependencies to recover from. Also, unless the
> [...]

Seth Alan Woolley Pacific Green Candidate for Secretary of State
http://seth4sos.org/
State Coordinating Committee Member
Secretary and Parliamentarian Senior Software Engineer
2008 Elections Administrator Rich Map Compiler and Engine
Pacific Green Party of Oregon deCarta: Powering LBS Solutions

IANAL (I am not a lawyer!) TINLA (This is not legal advice!)

3403 NE Stanton St gnupg.org key 84317E6A = http://swoolley.org/
Portland, OR 97212 8C97 9818 F889 EDE3 B54C Cell: (503) 953-3943
USA, 97212-2744 03 AAD6 E936 BF83 8431 7E6A 45.5438 N 122.6295 W