sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT stack.nl>
  • To: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:06:46 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:00:53AM -0500, David Kowis wrote:
> Quoting Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>:

>>> Personally I don't like profile spells. But really, they're not in the
>>> way. One can still the different needed spells manually if one so
>>> wishes, disregarding the existence of a profile spell. So really I don't
>>> see why it would need to go. It would be a problem for me if other
>>> spells would depend on the profile spell instead of on particular
>>> spells, other than for deprecation purposes of monolithic.
>>>
>>> One bone of contention I do have however is that apparently quite a few
>>> spells still depend on server when they should depend on libs. It is
>>> perfectly reasonable to have a server with X applications and X libs,
>>> but without an X server, that is what XDMCP was conceived for.
>>>

>> The one thing I would modify to profile spells is that they would get
>> dispeled after the cast... Since that would reduce cruft and because
>> in a lot of cases profile spells don't get updated.
>>

> I don't think that's a good idea. People don't expect things to
> dissappear after they've installed it. If they do a gaze version
> xorg-profile, it should show up that it's installed. It's not like the
> "cruft" of it is bad in any way. I think the alternative is much worse.
>
> Of course, reading the rest of the thread, if we can accomplish the same
> as xorg-profile with xorg-server, I'm happy with that.

Well, as you might have surmised from what I said earlier, I think this
would be turn for the worse, with a profile spell people have the choice
of using the profile spell or the various individual spells, if you put
all the profile stuff in server, people who want to install server are
stuck with the profile. Personally I don't like that and I'd hazard a
guess there'd be more people out there who don't want that.

Regards,

Remko van der Vossen.