sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Last call for xorg-modular testing before integration
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:09:04 -0700

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:35:20 +0200
Jaka Kranjc <jakakranjc AT email.si> wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 of August 2008 20:40:05 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > After that -modular should soak in test for a month so that devs
> > can get painfully familiar with it and how to transition to it
> > safely from monolithic xorg. Then the normal stable-rc -> stable
> > way to go.
> Is this really needed? Has anyone not transitioned yet? AFAIK the
> xorg spell in stable doesn't work (we even stopped reverting
> freetype2 in stable-rc), so even if xorg-modular isn't polished yet,
> it may be a good idea to include it anyway. I imagine most users want
> a recent version and the stuff currently on the wiki is pretty scary.

I fixed that bug months ago and xorg works in stable, that's why we
stopped reverting freetype2. ;) It would still be a good idea to let
xorg-modular soak in test for a bit since this is a big merge and
things may not go as planned. I am sure some still have not upgraded,
and this forced upgrade is sure to show bugs, which I hope people file.

> > Users affected:
> > Anyone with any of the following spells installed
> > xdirectfb
> > xfree86
> > xfree86-4.3
> > xfree86-devel
> > xfree86-libs
> > xorg
> xfree86 is still being worked on and even compiles. I deprecated
> xfree86-devel (spell from 2001!) yesterday and others are free to go
> too afaik (tried only 4.3). But xfree86 itself could stay. We don't
> need to target it specifically, just have it as an option, like we
> don't care much about $scm versions of multiversioned spells not
> compiling. The majority of users will pick xorg anyway.

Part of the plan in switching to xorg-modular is that we won't need to
do checks if people are using monolithic X (whether X.org or XFree86)
anymore, making cleaner spells.

However, we are all about choice, and if xfree86 still works, we can
leave it, IMO. Just remove the conflicts and depends for it and
xorg-modular.

> > Unless you have the spell on hold it will trigger a cast of
> > xorg-profile which will in turn install xorg-server, xorg-libs and
> > various drivers. The driver query will happen twice once from
> > xorg-profile and again from xorg-server. The one in xorg-server is
> > atm a noop and the profile won't exists for much longer once it
> > hits stable, it's only a transitional tool.
> It is only a noop for users of stable sorcery. And I question the
> need for the xorg-profile spell if it will be so short-lived. It is
> meant as a transitional tool, but how will new installs, new users
> get a good xorg set up? In my opinion we should just deprecate the
> old providers of X11-SERVER in favour of xorg-server directly. As far
> as those that wouldn't get the benefits of suggest_depends, we could
> just add a FINAL explaining you do probably need a keyboard and mouse
> driver and how to get them. I don't see a point in making a
> difference between new installs and switch-overs and only supporting
> the latter for a short while (we don't know when the switches will
> stop happening).
>
> The new stable sorcery should be out soon too, but don't let that
> stall things.
>
> LP

I like -profile packages, others don't. I like not having to know each
specific GNOME or KDE package to get a "normal" GNOME or KDE install.
Therefore I like the xorg-profile (since I wrote it I'm a bit
biased ;)) for installing X without having to know, in advance, what
available drivers are, or that I even need to remember to specifically
install a driver.

-sandalle