sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome nominations
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:54:52 -0500

Quoting Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>:

Elisamuel Resto [samuel AT dragonboricua.net] wrote:
Now, in regards to the Git-based backend for the wiki, if it is possible
to have it and still keep up with the upstream versions without needing
to rewrite it for each bump then by all means it's a good idea. We don't
want to do a horrid amount of work for the complexity it might bring, if
it's not used much. I personally prefer some other method, as discussed
with Justin and Juan Carlos on IRC... like DocBook or LaTeX. However,
for now I want to focus on the above-mentioned tasks.

I haven't seen the IRC discussion, but I would raise a note of caution
on the point of DocBook and LaTeX. I like LaTeX and I would still be
hesitant to use it in this type of situation. Anyone can throw together
some docs in MoinMoin with a few minutes work. Even someone familiar
with LaTeX is going to have to invest considerably more time in putting
together documentation.

The more work you require to create and update the documentation, the
less documentation you're going to get. :-)

Yeah. I agree with this. Keep the bar to entry low. Where's our Spellwriter's handbook? Oh it's in LaTeX supoosedly still under development by sandalle. How long has it been there? Years...

I don't think doing docs in anything other than simple plain text is a good idea. (wikisyntax is okay)

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org