sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Can't see my own messages. How about you?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Stephen O'Grady" <ogrady AT mailaps.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Can't see my own messages. How about you?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:45:48 +0100

2008/7/5 Ivan Lezhnjov Jr. <ivan.lezhnjov.jr AT gmail.com>:
Friday 04 July 2008, Elisamuel Resto wrote:
> Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > On 10:37:05 2008-07-04 "Ethan Grammatikidis" <eekee57 AT fastmail.fm> wrote:

> >> You could always use a different mail service. I use fastmail.fm. It's
> >> free, quite quick, and has decent filtering. OTOH it doesn't filter spam
> >> unless you pay, and the web interface doesn't do threaded view iirc.
> >>
> >> Aaand a further caveat is that it doesn't send to the list unless you
> >> click Reply To All. I've been spoiled by Sylpheed. Sorry for the
> >> duplicate, Ivan.
> >
> > *shameless plug*
> > I also provide a mail service for mages and friends(codemages.net - mages
> > for short). So if you want I can also set you up there ;)
> > */shameless plug*
> > On a side note.. have you checked the spam folders or whatever in case
> > the messages are going there of course it could always be gmail trying to
> > be overly smart...?

> Login there (or put your email and then get your password mailed to you)
> and check that the (receive own messages) is checked.

Anyway, I just checked the settings for my account and this option was already
set to 'Yes'. I tell you I have this problem with almost any mailing list
(most of which are MailMan anyway) and it's not about the mailing list
software; it's solely about GMail system.

The problem's definitely with GMail -- I nearly went nuts  a few days ago trying to test my new mail setup by sending messages to myself and wondering why they weren't arriving even though the smtp seemed to work.  They were just going to a black hole somewhere, where GMail puts all mail where you yourself are the sender.

And yes, I'm new to the list, but not to Source Mage, so hello everyone.  I sent a mail to the list the other day, but as a result of several recursively acting snafus (including the one above) I don't know if it ever arrived.

Anyway, just to clear that up -- it is GMail.

Stephen.