sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] News regarding the upcoming 0.10.0-test ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] News regarding the upcoming 0.10.0-test ISO
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:27:23 -0400

Eric Sandall (eric AT sandall.us) wrote [08.06.26 13:54]:
> Quoting flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>:
>
> > Real life is slowing me down, but I'm still chugging away on the ISO. It
> > has also been slowed down, because there will be some slightly new
> > developments for the ISO.
> >
> > The "short list" of major differences between the soon-to-be-released
> > ISO and the previous devel release are as follows:
> >
> > 1) More drivers built as modules instead of builtin
> > 2) Use of udev in the ISO's own initrd
> > 3) Autodetection of hardware on bootup (limited?)
> > 4) Some other (minor) bugfixes
> >
> > Essentially, implementing 1 causes a requirement for 2, and implementing
> > 2 has the nice side effect of 3. However, getting 2 working properly is
> > causing some slowdowns, as implementing that is not trivial. 1 should
> > serve as a bugfix for people whose PATA drives were either not detected
> > properly or not detected at all, but this will need to be tested and
> > reported on by those with PATA drives. The release can be expected
> > within a day or two if all goes well from here.
>
> Awesome, thanks Justin!
>
> -Eric

Oh, this should also (in theory) speed up the boot-time of the ISO as
well. Of course, everyone can test that empirically after I release it.
I've run into a few hiccups, but I'm working those out. If it goes well,
I'll release sometime tonight.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage