sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] News regarding the upcoming 0.10.0-test ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] News regarding the upcoming 0.10.0-test ISO
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:29:08 -0400

Real life is slowing me down, but I'm still chugging away on the ISO. It
has also been slowed down, because there will be some slightly new
developments for the ISO.

The "short list" of major differences between the soon-to-be-released
ISO and the previous devel release are as follows:

1) More drivers built as modules instead of builtin
2) Use of udev in the ISO's own initrd
3) Autodetection of hardware on bootup (limited?)
4) Some other (minor) bugfixes

Essentially, implementing 1 causes a requirement for 2, and implementing
2 has the nice side effect of 3. However, getting 2 working properly is
causing some slowdowns, as implementing that is not trivial. 1 should
serve as a bugfix for people whose PATA drives were either not detected
properly or not detected at all, but this will need to be tested and
reported on by those with PATA drives. The release can be expected
within a day or two if all goes well from here.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage