sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] policy for the VERSION of init.d

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] policy for the VERSION of init.d
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:04:46 +0000

On Tuesday, June 10 2008 17:55:58 Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:39:14AM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > Hi folks!
> >

> > It happened in the past that I worked on the init.d spell and it
> > happened again recently (though I didn't push). I faintly remember a
> > bit of discussion when I incremented the version number in DETAILS of
> > the spell last time... also I see that hardly anyone besides me seems
> > to think that VERSION in there is something that can actually change.
> >
> > So I want to have this cleared up once: What is the meaning of the
> > VERSION of init.d?
> > There is no upstream tarball or such, the spell _is_ the software. Thus
> > I reckon that the version number should increment with any spell
> > change... well at least with any change to the files that get installed.
> > People seem to disagree? Or not care?
> >
> > So, any opinions (or already existing policy docs that I boldy did not
> > read) on the VERSION and PATCHLEVEL handling in init.d and similar
> > spells?
> >

> > Alrighty then,
> >
> > Thomas.
> >
> > PS: What is the meaning of the triplett 2.2.2 anyway? What is a
> > major/minor change?

Depends on who you're asking. :) The way I usually look at it is how the
kernel used to do it (from http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/docs/kerncomp.php):
For any kernel version x.y.z,

* x - This is the major revision number
* y - This is the minor revision number, where:
Even numbers indicate "stable" kernel releases
Odd numbers indicate "development" or "beta" kernel releases which may
be less stable.
* z - This is the patch level of the kernel

This version number represents the main line kernel version.

> I've wondered about that myself :)
> How about we just drop PATCHLEVEL and convert VERSION to a single
> number? Makes it easy and understandable and doesn't change anything
> functionally.
> If no one objects, the next one to touch init.d should just pick a
> number and put that into VERSION.

Should be fine, since there's no SOURCE. :)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285