sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] policy for the VERSION of init.d

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] policy for the VERSION of init.d
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 11:39:14 +0200

Hi folks!

It happened in the past that I worked on the init.d spell and it
happened again recently (though I didn't push). I faintly remember a
bit of discussion when I incremented the version number in DETAILS of
the spell last time... also I see that hardly anyone besides me seems
to think that VERSION in there is something that can actually change.

So I want to have this cleared up once: What is the meaning of the
VERSION of init.d?
There is no upstream tarball or such, the spell _is_ the software. Thus
I reckon that the version number should increment with any spell
change... well at least with any change to the files that get installed.
People seem to disagree? Or not care?

So, any opinions (or already existing policy docs that I boldy did not
read) on the VERSION and PATCHLEVEL handling in init.d and similar
spells?

Alrighty then,

Thomas.

PS: What is the meaning of the triplett 2.2.2 anyway? What is a
major/minor change?