sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] european meeting in bonn

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robert Figura <rfigura AT aubergine.zwischengesicht.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] european meeting in bonn
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:30:50 +0200

Hi fellow mages,

i'd like to invite you all to consider to have the european meeting in
Bonn, Germany around August 23/24.

Bonn is a nice, small city (300.000 habitants), former seat of the
german government, birthplace of ludwig van beethoven and it has a
traditional university. We have the river Rhine flowing through the
city which means good air. Cologne is 25 kilometers away, Frankfurt
about 180 kilometers.

http://www.stephaneisel.de/clubs/eisel/artic/bonnpanorama_luft.jpg
http://www.fz-juelich.de/leap05/main/images/bonn.jpg
http://depend.cs.uni-sb.de/fileadmin/template/main/images/Bonn_Townhall.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonn

At that date there will be the frOSCon 2008 in the suburban
St.Augustin which is about 20 minutes tram away from the center. The PHP
folks even managed to position an official subconference.

http://www.froscon.de/index.php?L=1
http://froscon.phpugdo.de/.html

SourceMage seems to fit very well into their preferred topic
list. Connecting us with the frOSCon has several benefits:

- it may attract more outsiders to sourcemage and fellow mages to the
meeting
- we may use their communication infrastructure for accomodation for
free
- to some extend this may also be true for transportation
- lots and lots of geeks to meet

Please note that for non-speakers the entry fee to the frOSCon
will be 5 Euros (both days).

Their call for papers is open until June 2nd. I think that is an
opportunity we should think about! It also seems to be possible that
we might get some room to set up a presentation booth there.

http://www.froscon.de/en/program/call-for-papers.html

I haven't talked to them, but i will as soon as i know what to ask...

I'm living in Bonn for 10 years now and would like to apply to the
position of the event organizer. Tell me what you'd like to see and ask
what you want to know so i can see what i can do.

Here are some questions about the european meeting i am most
clueless about:

How many will come? Maybe one of the organizers of previous meetings
can give me a hint on how the number can be estimated in accordance with
the interest. (e.g. shown on the wiki:)

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/European_Meeting

Do we need an additional location for more jovial workshops or serious
work? Of course we'll need internet...

Regards
- Robert Figura (irc nick: template)

--
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,m>cot.bitamea\
@urigrf <raguFit erobR"[I%74?I>837&874>I?I^833:l%5:5]))for(O=o=l=