sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] linux freezes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] linux freezes
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 00:43:27 +0100

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:40:25 -0700
"Bearcat M. Sandor" <sourcemage AT feline-soul.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008 11:00:01 Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> > I am using devel sorcery, with no problems for along time. However,
> > since upgrading linux to 2.6.24.x, I frequently get system freezes
> > during a big cast. For instance, gtk+2 was in the install phase for
> > several minutes, using 100% of a fast dual-core machine. In most
> > cases the mouse still reacts, but the keyboard is dead.
> >
> > If I boot into linux-2.6.23.9 I never have a problem.
> >

> > I noticed that at least one of the linux config options had been
> > disabled, and some new ones enabled.
> >

> > Has anyone else had similar problems, or any suggestions as how to
> > best proceed with rebuilding a new kernel?
> Hey Treeve,
> I have had this same problem exactly as you describe, and i'm on kernel
> 2.6.24.
>
> So far it only happens during casts, so it may be about some
> incompatability
> between gcc and the kernel.
>
> I'll be looking into it.
> --
> Bearcat M. Sandor
> Bearcat AT feline-soul.net
> Jabber: bearcat AT feline-soul.net
> MSN: bearcatsandor AT hotmail.com
> Yahoo: bearcatsandor
> AIM: bearcatmsandor

It doesn't just happen when casting stuff, my keyboard locks up when
starting afterstep, and only when using kernel 2.6.24. I haven't noticed it
locking up when casting though.

Arjan

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org
Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.
GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===