sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] New (helpful?) pkg-config feature

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] New (helpful?) pkg-config feature
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 00:37:17 +0200

I thought I'd advertise my latest creation here because it has potential for
making a mage's life easier.

I've written a patch for pkg-config which adds the option to log to a Unix
socket. That means you can capture info about what packages a configure
script is looking for -- without ever having to modify the scripts. You
simply fire up a program that listens on a socket, set the
PKG_CONFIG_LOG_SOCKET variable to point to that socket, and voilá: pkg-config
will report the packages and versions requested from it.

Add to that some logic for matching pkg-config package names with spell
names,
and you get a program that tells you what spells a source package is hungry
for.

I've uploaded a tarball with the patch plus an example program to demonstrate
the feature. I'll highly appreciate any feedback. Get it at:
http://www.cs.uta.fi/~a445063/pkg-config-logsocket.tar.bz2

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]