sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Merge of xorg-modular repo into devel-xorg-modular branch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Merge of xorg-modular repo into devel-xorg-modular branch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:07:46 +0200

On 14:52:12 2007-10-23 David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
> Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:
>
> > Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:
> > <snip>
> >> I currently use git for both grimoire and xorg-modular
> >>
> >> what do I need to change in my setup?
> >>
> >> $ git branch -r
> >> $ git branch
> >> devel
> >> * master
> >> origin
> >> stable-0.3
> >> stable-rc-0.4
> >
> > You can do a `rm -rf xorg-modular; git clone grimoire xorg-modular; cd
> > xorg-modular; git checkout -b xorg-modular origin/devel-xorg-modular`
> > from where you store your git repos. If you're worried about space, a
> > `git clone -s` *may* work, but I haven't tried it with having the two
> > directories contain different checkouts.
>
> Forgive my nievity, but I'm seeing something silly here.
>
> We're smashing two grimoires together, but one will exist only in a
> branch. How is this any better than having two repositories? AFAICT,
> it is not any better.
>
> Also, why was it decided that the xorg-modular grimoire needed to be
> within test? I'm assuming it's due to the desire to get it into our
> stable testing procedure.
>
> What's the rest of the time line for merging the "devel-xorg-modular"
> branch into the "normal" test grimoire, so that there's no more
> devel-xorg-modular branch? I wasn't privileged to the discussion, nor
> do I have time to read histories, so when telling the ML about it,
> please detail the plan.

There is no desire... it's been planned since the start... Initially it was
decided to have it as a separate repository so that people can test various
aspects and so forth... Now that most of the testing is done it's time to
merge it into test and eventually stable...

The devel-xorg-modular branch will remain as the active branch to put any
updates even after it's merged into master... The time line is to get the
stuff merged into test by end of the year... Sandalle has already started
working on converting the current monolithic provider into a profile for
-modular... Once that is done and his work is tested the merge will proceed
quickly....

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C