sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Merge of xorg-modular repo into devel-xorg-modular branch

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Merge of xorg-modular repo into devel-xorg-modular branch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:52:12 -0500

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

Quoting Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:
<snip>
I currently use git for both grimoire and xorg-modular

what do I need to change in my setup?

$ git branch -r
$ git branch
devel
* master
origin
stable-0.3
stable-rc-0.4

You can do a `rm -rf xorg-modular; git clone grimoire xorg-modular; cd
xorg-modular; git checkout -b xorg-modular origin/devel-xorg-modular`
from where you store your git repos. If you're worried about space, a
`git clone -s` *may* work, but I haven't tried it with having the two
directories contain different checkouts.

Forgive my nievity, but I'm seeing something silly here.

We're smashing two grimoires together, but one will exist only in a branch. How is this any better than having two repositories? AFAICT, it is not any better.

Also, why was it decided that the xorg-modular grimoire needed to be within test? I'm assuming it's due to the desire to get it into our stable testing procedure.

What's the rest of the timeline for merging the "devel-xorg-modular" branch into the "normal" test grimoire, so that there's no more devel-xorg-modular branch? I wasn't privileged to the discussion, nor do I have time to read histories, so when telling the ML about it, please detail the plan.

Thanks,
--
David Kowis
| www.ronpaul2008.com | www.sourcemage.org |