sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] KDE4 status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: "sm-discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] KDE4 status
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:31:18 +0200

as you may have noticed, version 3.94.0 is now available.

on my normal system, which uses xorg-6.9.0 and kde3, I have the following
spells

$ gaze version kde4
Grimoire Section Spell Grimoire Version Installed Version
-------- ------- ----- ---------------- -----------------
grimoire kde4 kde4-l10n 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kde4-profile 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdeaccessibility4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdeaddons4 3.93.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdeadmin4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdebase4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdebase-workspace4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdebindings4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdeedu4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdegames4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdegraphics4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdelibs4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdemultimedia4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdenetwork4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdepim4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdepimlibs4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdesdk4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdetoys4 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 kdeutils4 3.94.0 -
grimoire kde4 kdewebdev4 3.90.1 -
grimoire kde4 koffice2 1.9.94 -
grimoire kde4 plasma 3.94.0 3.94.0
grimoire kde4 qimageblitz 0.0.706674 0.0.706674
grimoire kde4 tagua 1.0-alpha -

I can run some of these from a normal kde3 session. although I need to start
dbus in some cases. For some reason, kdebase4 will not build against my
version of xorg.
I have even removed the 3.5.8 versions of kdegraphics, kdegames, and
kdemultimedia.

I have a separate partition, built as a 64 bit system with xorg-modular and
no
kde3 stuff. On this system kdebase4 builds correctly.

I currently have a problem with the kdm4 start script, as it
runs /opt/bin/startkde which looks for qdbus, so the PATH, must include this.

/opt/bin/startkde uses xmessage, which won't build on my system because it
does not find the correct version of libxaw. It also seems confused about
~/.kde (should this be ~/.kde4 ?)
The net result is that kde4 hangs at startup. I can only kill X
(ctl-alt-backspace), but then the keybord does not work any more!

--
Regards, Treeve