sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] static init fails

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] static init fails
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:16:34 +0200

On 14:59:18 2007-10-05 Jens Laas <jens.laas AT data.slu.se> wrote:

> I've been having trouble booting with udev for some time now and I've
> finally isolated what makes it break.
>
> Apparently simpleinit fails to reopen filedescriptors when compiled
> statically.
>
> This is anyway my initial finding.
>
> Anyone else compiling simpleinit static have the same problem or not?

I use static init and it works... but then I don't use udev...

> Incase there is something else with my setup that is triggered by the
> static init.
>
> If I comment out the mounting of ramfs and the signalling of init the
> boot works (of course it complains a bit about stuff that already
> exists in /dev).

Only udev install I have does not use ramfs for udev but a reduced static
/dev

> (BTW simpleinit should use the abstract local namespace. This is not
> mapped to a file.)

It's unmaitaned by upstream... and we are looking at expanding what inits
are supported... At some point we would like to support as many as
possible...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C