sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Users] [SM-USERS] Unable to perform rebuild of the system after installation...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Users] [SM-USERS] Unable to perform rebuild of the system after installation...
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:10:04 -0500

This ended up on the SM-USERS ML
Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After installing smgl from iso 0.9.6.3 (current stable CD image), I've
> tried to perform a rebuild as suggested by the end of the installation
> process, and in all attempts what happens is that at the time of
> ncurses copmpilation I get the error of libncurses.*.5.so not present.
> After this error the system is useless since somehow bash, and all
> the sorcery stuff (sorcery, cast, gaze, etc) seems to depend upon this
> library.
>
> I tried then to install, and just recompile some developing suite
> (gcc, g++, gettext, texinfo, readline, auto-tools, make automake,
> autoconf, nasm, etc...), and then recompiling ncurses, and this works
> pretty nice. Then I continued recompiling the rest of te spells by
> little groups, and everything went OK.
>
> After recompiling the whole thing, then to confirm I just tried
> recompiling ncurses only, and yet again I got the libncurses shared
> library error. I have no clue on what could be affecting this. Maybe
> the shared library is getting removed too early? I have no clue, but
> I can't do much to find out since the system without useful prompt is
> pretty much useless...
>
> Notice I tried the same, but before recompiling changing the scribe
> from stable to test, just in case it was a matter of the version of
> some spell, but the result was yet again the same shared library
> error.
>
> Any hints about this? Please let me know what can be done as a
> procedure to avoid this... Maybe installing a newer version of the CD
> image?
>
> smgl-0.9.6-x86-2.6.14.2-nptl-test4.iso.bz2

We should defaultly build ncurses with utf-8. And all new installations
should be set up this way. If you've already got ncurses and it's not
utf-8, then it shouldn't try to update it. The ratio of "I don't know
what" lost to complete system borkage isn't very good.

Basically what I mean is: anything gained by allowing the user to pick
utf8 vs non-utf8 isn't worth the potential system complete borkage.

I'm saying we should do something smart about it. Warn the everloving
crap out of the user if they try to change what it's built with. New
installations come with utf-8 enabled. The spell would make them answer
yes twice to change the thing:

"UTF-8 support[n]? y"
"ARE YOU REALLY FREAKN SURE? THIS HAS MUCH POTENTIAL FOR BLOWING UP YOUR
COMPUTER AND ELECTING THE WORST LEADER YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE FOR
YOUR GOVERNMENT [n]? n"
"OK, you're safe. Have a nice day."

Same basic thing for going in the opposite direction.

--
David Kowis

Ron Paul FTW!
www.ronpaul2008.com

www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein