sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding more required packages to the stable release process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Adding more required packages to the stable release process
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:23:52 -0500

On May 23, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> On May 23, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> > David Kowis wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Lets operate in the opposite direction. More is happening on the
> > > grimoire than on the ISO. Let's pick what we want to support starting
> > > from nothing, and we'll get that onto the ISO. I feel that is a much
> > > better way to do it. And we'll get the same end result and we'll both be
> > > happy :)
> > >
> > > Sound good?
> >
> > Yep. :)
> >
> > In that vein, here is my list of additional packages to be added to the
> > stable release cycle:
>
> I agree with what David has said so far and I think this list is much
> better as far as "what packages are important", but it's still too long
> IMO. The goal is to extend the scope gradually. I would say as a rule of
> thumb we should probably not add more than 6-10 at a time.

I'm also going to note that we're talking about adding more because at the
meeting we talked about the lack of volunteers for the recent stable cycle
and it was suggested that people are less willing to sign up when it's the
same few bugs getting listed over and over for basesystem, and the rest of
it is generally shaken out. By this perspective it's time to add more
spells partly to keep more people involved.

Of course if this perspective is wrong then people are just too busy and
adding more spells will make us miss dates. So if we add any for the next
release and we don't get volunteers for them, it seems obvious to me they
have to come back off. Small steps, no regressions.