sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead Vote 2007

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead Vote 2007
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:47:33 -0600

It's March, and that means the Grimoire Lead Vote for the next year is due.

Please send nominations to the list by March 8, 09:45 CST.

For my part I think this election is very important. The grimoire by
necessity sees more active change than any other part of the project, and
the Grimoire Lead and their policies have day-to-day relevance.

Topics I would like to see possible candidates discuss:

- Approach to release cycle. The project has basically started doing these
on our own, but I expect the control to go back to the Grimoire Lead at
some point, even if that's just to make sure the current process
continues. There are open policy questions around the current process
that need to be addresses as well, including target release cycle
timeline, policy and timeline for adding new siupported spells, policy
for integrations to stable between releases, etc.

- Policy and proposal for making sure we do security updates in a timely
manner.

- Plan for getting our documentation current relative to the grimoire.

- Your expected availability, and how you'll make plans to let things move
forward in your absence.

- Priorities for other kinds of changes in the Grimoire. Grimoire
organization, support for sorcery proposals like moving init functions
into the grimoire and the modified spell inheritance plan, automated
updates for spells, etc.

- Possible bugzilla usage changes; this one is probably minor for this kind
of discussion but it's on my mind because as I'm filling in doing
triaging or whatever I'm finding it's difficult to follow things that are
assigned all over the place, half the time to devs that aren't around
anymore. I think sorcery and cauldron have a better approach to this and
would like the grimoire to consider adopting the way they do it.