sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] server up

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] server up
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 04:55:23 -0600

On Feb 01, Jeremy Blosser [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> I'm working with the datacenter to get it back up but it may be tomorrow
> morning; if I have to go in to get to the console myself I can't do it
> outside of their regular staff hours without paying the hourly rate for the
> tech.

We're back up. The reboot didn't help but I remembered I left their
original minimal FC4 install partition on there for cases like this and had
him boot to that, and was able to chroot to fix it.

Full disclosure of my stupid mistake:

I run a local grimoire on all my prod boxes with some infrastructure spell
tweaks that I don't have in the regular grimoires yet. This box is no
exception. Most of these spells are either just local custom things or
scribbled versions from test. For a couple of spells (openssl and git), I
just want to track the version in test, because updates to those were really
frequent for a while and very important and not getting to stable. To do
this I just have a symlink down to test.

Of course you can never be careful enough about grimoire files, and when
the grimoire build api default changed to 2 and openssl lost it's BUILD_API
line, this setup broke. So when I finally did this upgrade on this box it
fell apart. It looks like it did manage to install the libraries but not
the headers, so openssh refused to compile. I didn't see this on my other
boxes because I did this update on those before the default build api
changes and subsequent updates haven't been lib changes and therefore
weren't noticeable breakage. This is one case where doing the update
somewhere else first and waiting a while to make sure it was ok actually
hurt me.

Anyway, this was obviously a stupid thing to lose track of, but please try
to grok why I couldn't risk just scribbling openssl from test one time and
then forgetting about it on some prod system somewhere and missing future
updates. I have too many systems trying to run SMGL in production to deal
with them that way. This is something I still think we need to work on
some more.

I'm going to bed for a few hours. Hopefully most of you were sleeping
while we were down.