sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] server down

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] server down
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 02:40:16 -0600

Yes, fawkes is down. I started doing part of the 0.6 updates tonight and
went ahead with the openssl 0.9.7 - 0.9.8 upgrade I'd been putting off due
to concerns about it breaking sshd.

I did this update on a half remote dozen servers before trying ours because
I wanted to make sure I didn't hit issues on the one box I don't have
direct physical control over. Of course, this is the one that blew up.

I'm working with the datacenter to get it back up but it may be tomorrow
morning; if I have to go in to get to the console myself I can't do it
outside of their regular staff hours without paying the hourly rate for the
tech.

My apologies for this; obviously I just wanted to make my first day as
Project Lead memorable (</sarcasm>).

PS: I will be moving this box to a different hosting provider the next time
the contract is up for renewal. Sprocket was good when we started there
but they've gone rather downhill since then; they're charging me to even
get an after-hours reboot and apparently doesn't even have 24x7 on site
staff anymore, this tech has to drive in to do it. I've got a fair amount
of experience now with another local colo and find they are much more
professional, and I've never had any issue going on-site there at any time
of day or night. They do cost a bit more but provide more services for the
cost, so it's worth it.